Tuesday, February 12, 2008

search...

So, from the latest news stories I've read, it seems like the Microsoft + Yahoo deal may not be over yet. Even though the $44 billion dollar offer was formally rejected, it could still happen.

What is Web History? “You know that great web site you saw online and now can't find? With Web History, you can view and search across web pages you've visited in the past, including Google searches. Web History also provides interesting trends on your web activity, such as which sites you visit most frequently and what your top searches are. Finally, Web History helps deliver more personalized search results based on what you've searched for and which sites you've visited.” - Google

Sure, that's helpful, but it's also a little scary to me. I do use Google probably every single day. I don't have Gmail, and I really feel like someone is watching me when I use GoogleDocs and the Text Google thing that you can use from you cell phone. I use that often, too. I guess the only thing they can learn from that is that I like Baylor Basketball.

I think that our lives are being recorded. In fifteen years my children could possibly read this. I wonder what they would think about me so far? Hmm.

I found this quote about the information that is recorded when a user visits a search site.
"It's data that's practically a printout of what's going on in your brain: What you are thinking of buying, who you talk to, what you talk about."
--Kevin Bankston, staff attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation

I think that Google is an amazing company, but I just hope they're very careful with all the information that they're gathering.

No comments: