Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I'm addicted to Facebook!

Yes, it's true. Or at least it was true before they took away my access to Facebook at work. My favorite readings were of course, all of the ones involving social network sites. I loved reading about Facebook because I could remember everything as it happened. I was definitely born into the Facebook generation. I'm excited about tomorrow. This is going to be one of my favorite classes tomorrow because I am so interested in the social implications of technologies such as social networking sites. In fact one of my research projects last semester was on the Personalities of Frequent Facebook Users. My question with reguard to this weeks readings is whether technology is bringing us together or tearing us appart. From the work I did on personalities and Facebook, I found that frequent Facebook users are extroverted in personality. They joined Facebook to keep in touch with freinds that they already have rather that find new friends, exactly what Mark Zuckerburg intended. This makes me believe that social networking sites bring people together in new ways rather than tearing them apart. According to the reading, Facebook helps people to build and extend "social capital", it has to be a good thing. Therefore in my opinion the most important social effect of technology is the new sence of community it brings. I love the fact that after graduating from college, I still get invited to get together's with old friends and still have many options of things to do on the weekends. I have the ability to stay connected with those old friends because of social networking sites like facebook. Yes, I still call them and talk to them face to face. The internet is mearly an alternative to my communication options. It hasn't deteriorated real human communication. Not yet anyway.
The thing that disturbs me most about technology is the digital divide. It is still scary to think about WHO has access to the internet and technologies like the ones we're discussing. WHO gets invited into the world of cyberculture? It is so sad that there is a racial divide tearing two cultures apart. The bottom line is that one group in society is moving ahead at an extremely fast pace and the Other is left far behind. Sadly this is a truth in our society that will hopefully be eradicated with time.

No comments: