Tuesday, February 12, 2008

google...

I don’t know how you guys set up your google starting page. There are many features you can customize to show up whenever you open the site. Mine is still the basic one with the searching box and a half of white empty spaces at the bottom. That’s why I like google most of all, of course its accuracy too. For me, Yahoo and msn are painful because of their pop-ups and busy background.

A long time ago, a friend of mine asked how we were getting all junk emails. He showed me to type my name on google, and came out a couple of groups and organizations that I visited. Probably, I left my email address and somehow they kept my name in their systems. I still don’t know how the technology works, but what I am saying is it is a little bit scary that my personal info can go on public anywhere. Or what if google is hacked by someone (just what if...)

Google in China article was really interesting. They blamed China’s national filtering system for their poor business in China. However, I think if google wants to expand their business outside of the U.S (I am sure they are the best web based corp in the world), they have to think about a nation’s culture too. A searching engine is not just a smart web site, which finds information you need, but it is a cultural icon today. Indeed, in many non-English speaking countries, google is not welcomed that much. Because of translation sensibility, google is not accurate as much as a country’s native language based searching engine. For instance, in many Asian countries their unique business models (pretty similar with yahoo) are a lot popular than google. My point is they need to have what the people want. It is not going to work the same way that google is doing here unless they change their strategy internationally.

No comments: