Monday, February 11, 2008

Everyone wants to work at GOOGLE!!!

Google is definitely the most genius idea after the crushed icemaker in my refrigerator. The Internet, and Google in particular have made it possible for us to type in a search and find exactly what we are looking for, the genius part of this is that not only do we find what we are looking for, but we can also find things that are related. According to the Fellows article an average of 38 million people use search engines a day; however, Fellows also refers to a recent study done by PEW that found that while people do use search engines, the predominant ways to search are still the traditional ones. I must say that I prefer the phonebook to the Internet and there are many instances where I would choose the traditional methods over going on-line.
While Google is an amazing search engine, there are still some concerns. Privacy is my biggest issue when it comes to the Internet. Fellows discussed how Google's Gmail would search through e-mail and provide the user suggestions. I have a problem with the fact my activity is constantly being monitored, my business is my business, not Google's or anyone else's for that matter. According to Google, they only collect limited information, "Google only collects the normal type of information that is already available to thewebsites you visit. This means, Google cannot collect, for example, your name,email address, telephone number, etc", but it still is an invasion, in my opinion.
The Wired article on Google social networking discusses an "improved" social network system. This new development called Open Social seems very intrusive and it almost seems like Google is this advertising monster that thinks up new ways to get personal information to promote products. Maybe it's just the fact that social networking sites are a way for people to get absolutely nothing done and they drive me craz!! I almost liked the fact that I was somewhat in the dark about all of the "devious" doings. This goes back to the question I asked on my second blog…when do we stop?
As far as Microsoft's bid for Yahoo, I think that it is probably not the best decision. After reading the article, it seems that they are just trying to get into and stay in the on-line business, and they think Yahoo will get them there. When I think of Microsoft, I think of the program that I am using right now; Word.