Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Internet on Everyday Life? The Internet IS my Life!

For me the Internet is my teacher, my friend, my way of life. The internet is the gateway to all knowledge in the world. Poetry, war, music, animals, science, even the blueprints to how to make an atom bomb can all be found on the internet of today. It's like one big text book for every class you will ever take, and it's as portable as the nearest computer. I check my bank account, pay my taxes, buy movie tickets, and keep up to date with what is going on in the world all through the net. I can scarcely recall a world without the Internet. Before the internet came to be people had to drive or walk all around to different places in order to gather and send information to others. Businesses had to go to their suppliers, or at the very least haggle with them over the phone while constantly being put on hold, while they can now order all the parts and merchandise they need from their respective websites. Employers and employees can email each other news updates and questions in the comfort of their chairs instead of running all over the place and trying to track down that certain someone. Fliers are almost extinct, saving many trees in the process, as people are finding it easier to advertise on the web and via emails.
Families can equally stay in touch and communicate with each other with ease via email or programs like Skype Instant Messenger. Everyone has become linked closer together through the Internet as more and more users join every day. People can check the news and read about their favored politician or presidential candidate. Many people are using the web as their main source of information on candidates, much to the dislike of some campaigners. "Prominent commentators have expressed concern that growing use of the internet would be harmful to democratic deliberation. They worried that citizens would use the internet to seek information that reinforces their political preferences and avoid material that challenges their views." I can see the problem they are referring to if people just look at what they want to see, and not the whole picture, possibly resulting in poor judgment and the election of someone ill equiped for the job (though in my opinion that's been the case for the last decade or more).
Some people believe that the internet, while containing many advantages, might not be as good a thing as most believe it to be. I myself admit to being dependent on the Internet for nearly all of my academic work, as well as news and entertainment. I used to be a big online gamer, and still play from time to time. If I were to lose the internet for good I don't know what I'd do, besides freak out. Just the other day the internet was down in my apartment for about 4 hours and I was beside my self not being able to check emails and facebook or look at youtube. I'm sure I'm not the only one. If the Internet were to go down permenantly, I think many people would have a hard time coping. I would probably at the very least lose contact with half my friends and fail half my classes.

1 comment:

Jeetendra Yaduvanshi said...

I 100% agree with your article. To me Internet is more important than my cell phone. I think it's my friend when I am alone and my teacher when I want to learn something...obviously, it's always there to entertain you! And everyday I find 10 to 20 new sites! There is hardly a ''world'' outside Internet!