Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Internet and Every Day

Every day the internet makes my life more bearable!! I work full time and I’m taking three classes this semester, so I’m seriously limited on time. The internet is a blessing for me. I can research projects for work and school; find information on topics that interest me; keep in-touch with family and friends through e-mail, instant messaging, and social networking; shop; and even take care of personal business like changing the address on my driver license, paying my bills, or registering to vote in a new county. Talk about convenience!! The internet is nothing but beneficial for me with my chaotic schedule because it makes my life easier.

Though there are disadvantages to all great things, the internet is no exception. Information obtained online cannot always be verified, time stamps aren’t always accurate, the excess of information sometimes makes searches for specific information difficult and time-consuming (though not as time-consuming as searching through documents in the library or other sources of paperwork), sites are not always current, documents may not load or download when needed, et cetera. For me, the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages.
As for the readings, I don’t know why the numbers from PEW Internet Research studies always surprise me, but they do. I find it fascinating that internet users know more about political issues than the political candidates themselves. And that the majority of Americans still get their political news from television and newspapers, instead of the internet. Even when the internet has instant updates as new information becomes available and also provides a better opportunity for exposure to various sides of issues. Though I suppose how much exposure a user gets to various sides of an issue is dependent upon how much or how little information is sought by that user.

As far as the articles about Apple versus PC, I have my own preferences. My very first computer was a Commodore 64, which I used for assignments in the 4th grade. Back then, I was WAY ahead of the game using a personal PC for class work. But then, summer computer camps and middle school had only Macs, and I was required to take a programming class, too, so Macs were IT for me. Then, in high school, yearbook layout was done on PCs, so another switch. Gah!! My first round of college was PC-friendly, too. Now, for round two of college, it’s back to Macs. I’ve learned from personal experience that I prefer PC’s because they work best for my personal needs. But Macs, on the other hand, are my first choice for creative work when I need it. Not sure who will win the PC/Mac battle, but experience tells me it’ll always be a tug-of-war between the two.

I like how Rheingold refers to the internet as the WELL in his book. It’s a great analogy, really. If a user is thirsty, and keeps drilling for information, he’ll eventually reach the water’s surface. And the user just may be blessed with a bottomless well!

No comments: