Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Life and the Internet

I think that overall, the internet has definitely made an impact on most Americans' lives. Last semester I studied (in Dr. Subervi's class) the ways the 2008 presidential candidates are trying to reach potential voters by websites. I believe that the internet has helped spread messages so quickly, and especially political messages. One picture posted on the internet can then be spread to other media sources, such as TV. or newspapers.
The Pew article states, "Internet use is not the only factor associated with exposure to a wide range of political arguments. Education levels, interest in the campaign, and age are among the other factors tied to the number of points of view people encounter."

I also think that community involvement can also be boosted by the internet. My neighbor has a sign posted on his fence that promotes Obama and gives an email address to connect with other supporters in our same zip code.

On one hand, I think that the growing importance of the internet in our daily lives can be a positive thing. The Internet & Social Life article states that the main reason people use the internet is for email. The internet allows for people to send a quick hello or picture to family members and friends all over the world.

The negative side of this is that communication can become less personal feeling when it is done over the internet. I'll admit, I've ignored a phone call then responded to a voicemail by email just so I wouldn't have to talk to the person. And how many of you have IM'd your roommate while you're in the same room? I think that it provides a can also false sense of connection. Well, people are connected, but they may not be doing that much actual communication on the internet.

Also, I think the ability to invent a new life for yourself is kind of scary. The CyberDemocracy article states, "Individuals invent themselves and do so repeatedly and differentially in the course of conversing or messaging electronically.” I know that one of my friends has two Myspace profiles. One profile he is "Nathan" (his real name), but on the other he is "Jody" (made up). In his real profile he is in a relationship, but is listed as single on the other profile. Even his hobbies are different. Just that one example leads me to believe that really nothing can be trusted online. If a close friend of mine can manipulate hundreds of people to believe he is someone he's not, then no telling what else is made up or incorrect. While I was doing the readings today, there was a guest on Dr. Phil who was taken for $5,500 by her boyfriend whom she had never met in person, only online. This is when I think the internet becomes just another way for bad people to do bad things and take advantage of those that aren't so smart.

But, I'm not like an internet hater or anything. I love being online. I just think you have to be smart about it, and sort of treat it like everything else...in moderation.

No comments: