Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I heart me some Mac and I heart me some Double IPA.

I think that, obviously, the Internet has vastly

 affected our daily life. It is weird that I cannot imagine going without the Internet today, but I can remember in high school when I would connect to my Juno mail once a week and download my messages. Mainly consisting a lame Ska bands’ newsletters and the weekly movie schedule from the theatre.

 

According to the PEW studies the Internet has an effect on our voting habits and how we stay informed politically.  I can sort of see some of the “smart mob” techniques described by Rheingold being utilized in the current democratic candidate race.

 

When Obama spoke in Austin the first time a year ago, I remember getting several text messages informing me about it and then seeing bulletins on Myspace linking me to the live feed.

 

I felt that Bargh’s and McKenna’s section on community involvement is strongly supported by the Facebook model of digitizing an individual’s real life. I feel that my own experience with Obama’s 2007 speech is an example of the positive social effect being online can offer.

In my opinion, and based on my experience, I do feel the overall effects are positve.

 

Now to the Mac VS PC.

 

Being that I have been a Mac owner for the past four years and have been employed by Apple for a stint, I am unapologetically pro-Mac.

But, I am not one of those blindly follow-Jobs-off-a-cliff-Mac-beats-PC-at-everything guys.

 

I have a friend who works in the videogame industry as a renderer. He owns a clocked up Dell machine.

 

It looks sort of like a speed boat knocked up a tup-a-ware container.  

BUT, I know his machine is better than mine for what he does.

Mine is better than his for what I do…

Blog for class. And try to stay trendy and hip at coffee places.

 

As far as the reading goes, I think Gene Stienberg’s Mac VS PC tests were fair and balanced, although I wonder how the tests would end up today.

 

My switch from PC to Mac was not as clumsy as Fitzgerald described it. But, I did have a few friends with iBooks who let me play around on them a few times before I got mine.

 

And I disliked the Tweakheadz Lab article due to the fact that the author assumed that Mac users are also wine cooler drinkers. Not so. 

2 comments:

Michael Trice said...

Yeah, Irish G or dirty M for me. Sometimes both for a rough morning.

Michael Trice said...

Guinness (I'm lazy and didn't wnat to look up the spelling)

Dirty Martini (I just wanted to hide my previous laziness by making it all jive)