Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Google.

I love the idea of the cheeky "Satan uses Google" bumper sticker. My personal beliefs about the concept of Satan and religion aside, that's pretty darn funny. While trendy new movies like "Knocked up" have their characters screaming "Google it!" as a cure-all for mystery and ignorance, we've got to consider the invasiveness of their searching/advertising algorithms. Right now, as I am logged into my Gmail, Google ads are trying to sell me things they think I need. Alas, my affinity for mass-creating nick-names for everyone I know has resulted in some of the strangest ads in my sidebar. So to me, this is rather hilarious, but the laughter stops when I realize that Google basically has access to all my private conversations, all my papers, and all my pictures. I am one of those users that uses Google as a storage facility. What if I become famous (a very likely possibility) and Google IDs my account? Will they sell all my photos and notes to TMZ?? Will some crazy anonymous person get their hands on it and then offer to sell me back my privacy a la the big Paris Hilton locker scandal? I mean I don't use my full name or anything but there's enough information in your emails about where you live, where you work, who you know, for Google to know exactly who (and thanks to google earth) and exactly WHERE you are. Issues of fame gone wrong aside, my point is no good can come of any single company knowing that much about us all. On the other hand, Google is pretty brilliant and with all the crazy options out there, their family of products gives us simplified tools under one roof. The catch is ofcourse, that these services are not free. As discussed, you have to give them something, your soul if you believe in such a thing.

Now, its interesting to read that Google is taking advantage of the Long Tail we are all so passionate about.
"While most of the $500 billion ad world fixates on high-touch branding - spots designed to imprint a name on a consumer's mind - Google is going after low-profile but lucrative segments once lorded over by business directories and newspaper classifieds."
Their AdSense model is responsible for some pretty high success rates, considering the past history of online advertising based on click-throughs.

As far as the Microsoft bid to acquire Yahoo, they're obviously scared that they won't be the tech giant they are for a lot longer. They've realized where industry strengths are and they are trying to gain on their competitors. This bid is an attempt to overtake a competitor. I thought it was interesting how the readings talked about Microsoft always being a competitor for some major tech company. I personally have a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to Microsoft, not only because of my experience at Dell, but also just because of my personal opinions on game development and videogames in general. I just think Microsoft is mean and evil but then I think to myself, well isn't Google too? Microsoft doesn't know nearly as much about me as Google does, and most of their software can be pirated and you CAN get one of those nifty modchips from China for your Xbox, so really, I'm just sort of using them. But Google is this quiet evil type who sort of lurks behind you, whispering things in your ear, seeming harmless, and at times, cool, all the while gathering all the dirt on you he can. What if you make him mad one day? What if you got a Wii and he didn't and now he wants your Wii?? Microsoft is Stalin, and Google is Rasputin. It just makes me nervous is all. I'm glad Yahoo rejected the offer. Let's just keep a whole bunch of floundering companies around because they prevent the big guys from becoming obese.

I think the search company of the future will be sort of like a cable provider, and you'll get package deals. They'll be hooked onto various aspects of your life (depending on how much you pay for integration, yes let's call them integration packages) ie. your fridge, your music and movie collection etc etc and will be able to help you organize and locate everything (yes, even in your own home) all the while flashing random images on blank walls telling you to buy the latest album from the band Travis because they think you'll like them because you love Radiohead (NOT true, Travis is no Radiohead and never will be). They'll suggest lower calorie versions of foods in your fridge and will tell you when you can skip a day at the gym. Its all really scary yet, its sometimes cool. But only sometimes.

1 comment:

A. Sunday Udoetok said...

Dee, when you get famous, you don't have to worry much about Google but the stories I ll make up to sell to TMZ. J/K, I use Gmail, too but am not comfortable enough using the other applications like the calender, spreadsheet and etc. I use yahoo calendar, I figure if I spread it around then no one company has all my info in one place. Unless, of course. Google buys Yahoo!