Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I'm a cynic. Please, join my community. PLEASE!

I think the biggest effect of technology on social or cultural aspect is not the interactivity, but rather the lack of inter-connectivity. It seems as though technology has allowed us as a society to take another step away from each other, a disconnect. There appeared to me many examples of this within Identity in the Age of the Internet. The first paragraph the author refers to the computer as the “second self.” And later cyberspace is mentioned as part of an everyday routine. And the stories about the MUDs in the same article were fascinating. At one point the author relates the story of being confused about talking to a character inside the MUD as a real person when it was actually part of the program. And even when you are exchanging dialogue with another character the guy may actually be a Jo-Jo the dog-faced boy. In Facebook Grows Up one concern of the heavily populated college community is Facebook opening its doors to new users: “older people.” Also in the same article users are referred to as “nodes radiating links to the people we know.” A node seems to be a bit of a disconnect from even the interactivity of a simple e-mail. That’s also not to say I’m anti-Facebook. It is what it is; it does a great job of servicing its users. Time will tell if the “older people” will welcome the same experiences as the college community. How Mark Zuckererberg Turned Facebook into the Web’s Hottest Platform talks about the “social graph” as the web of people’s real-world relationships. I have to admit I didn’t quite get the difference between Facebook’s model of operation and other social networking platforms, like MySpace. Probably because I am an extreme casual user of both, remember, I’m an “older person.” The article does touch on the possible authenticity and identity issues. If Facebook’s sole purpose is to connect webs of friends then sure there’s little need creating a fake identity. Integrated Web Design: Social Networking – The Relationship Between Humans and computers is coming of Age, isn’t funny that the article is titled relationship between humans and computers, not humans and humans. And the article sums things up by stating concerns about privacy and appropriate use of personal information raises numerous questions that only time will reveal answers to. I have a hard time revealing information to people face-to-face let alone with someone on the end of a cable modem that could turn out to be Jo-Jo the dog-faced boy. Yet people are more than willing to at times.  As another example of the disconnect of human interconnectivity is in the Technology Review article Social Networking 3.0. The conclusion of the article comes to the conclusion that some day joining online networks may be as commonplace as belonging to the Boy Scouts or the PTA. Believe it or not I was in the Boy Scouts for a short period of time, and the camping trips we went on for the weekend could not be replaced by any virtual community. Web Theory refers to Putnam’s, Bowling Alone, “we are increasingly becoming suburban hermits, seldom leaving the comfort of our homes to engage in other civic and or social activities.” Hell, if we can join online communities and not the Boy Scouts, why would we need to right? I think at this point in time it’s still a wait and see if Putnam is correct. I do need to read that book when I get a spare minute! The social capital to amass relationships through online networks in The Benefits of Facebook “Friends:” Social Capital and College Students’ Use of Online Social Network Sites was very interesting. However, as a none user, I just don’t understand the fascination of collecting and sharing personal information with people I don’t know and expect them to give a damn.

 

I think my biggest hang-up with online communities and networking is identity. Who are these people, what kinds of identities have they created to present themselves online, how many identities have they created, and most importantly why should I give a damn. I’m the first to admit I have serious issues with cynicism. But if I don’t know you, no matter how any things we have in common, I probably won’t want to become your ‘friend,’ but like I said, I’m a cynic. I’m just not sure you are who you say you are.

 

I think the most disturbing aspect of this new technology that allows us to communicate so openly is the disconnect. The ability to join online communities of unknown people as opposed to joining the Boy Scouts. What happens to kids ability to get out of the house and spend a weekend around a campfire scaring the bah-jesus out of each other with ghost stories. I use Boy Scouts here purely as an example, not to leave out girls and the ability for them to join the Girl Scouts.

 

And another disturbing aspect are the people that get duped in to the identities created by others online. He stories of people leaving families and finding that online “friend” are well documented. It’s sometimes sad that these people are so willing and eager to get involved in these faceless and sorta nameless online relationships. If I don’t know you, can’t see you or touch you, I don’t want to be your friend. But hey, I’m a cynic. 

No comments: