Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Effects of technology.

I believe the most important cultural and social effect of technology is the shrinking effect it seems to have on the world. Suddenly, the world is a much smaller place and time different becomes almost non existent. We are given access to things we otherwise would have no access to-all because of the way technology is connected to each other. For me, its been critical in keeping in touch with my family. Being foreign and having relatively no family in the states, I don't know what I would have done all these years without my email, messaging, my skype etc. The international phone bill is still ridiculously high, so its been great to have the free tools of the internet to communicate. I also love the purchase power the internet hands users. Lots of people think that the internet has just created another way for people to wastefully spend money but I just think these people aren't using it right. I get phenomenal deals from smaller stores online than I do anyplace that requires my presence. I've even started buying cosmetics online because you'd be surprised at exactly how much money you can save. I've found some amazing autographed novels from favorite authors from little stores in California that carry autographed pieces by authors like Ray Bradbury. It really is amazing the kind of stuff you can find, but also, just how much money you can save. Even if you don't buy online, comparison shopping is at your fingertips and there's no need for anyone to be making uninformed purchase decisions.

Okay, sorry for the tangent. I think its disturbing to read about the relationship between the internet and minorities. According to the readings the digital divide has become a national concern and I can see why-its effecting incomes, education, the way in which people relate to each other...I really think its depressing that all these children don't have access to what is a life changing and millennium defining invention. What can we do about it? What can we REALLY do about it?? On a more superficial level, I do think sites like facebook and myspace have made us into a very socially obsessed culture. I'm not innocent. I waste a lot of time reading things about people that I hardly know and that don't matter. I'm seriously considering getting rid of both accounts upon graduation. I figure, if they really want to keep in touch, they will right? Maybe I'll just try to remember my LinkedIn password. That seems to be the only one that actually makes sense to me anymore. Although I had no idea they charged for connecting people to employers. I doubt I'll let them take my money and figure out other ways to get in contact with potential employers. Its also strange to find out that friends of yours are engaged or pregnant because they update their profiles before telling you. I think some sort of social decorum has gone out the window. Now part of it I will say is nice. You can afford to be a little more antisocial and that gives you time to maybe take care of some of your chores. It seems along with connectivity through technology, people have still continued to be social butterflies at an increasing level. I remember when my high school teachers used to say that things like ICQ would mean we wouldn't go out as much. But we did! And we discussed our icq conversations. Its hard to be completely disconnected from the world unless you delete some of the social networking sites you've connected with, that's for sure.

I was really excited to read about imeem! I had no idea that anyone else used it besides me. I don't really use it for social networking purposes, I sort of just use it as an online radio/ipod tool. That surprised me in one of the articles.

I shall end this post by posting the results of my internet addiction test. I am doing this because I am proud. I am not addicted to the internet like I previously thought. Yay me.
-------
You are an average on-line user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.

No comments: