Wednesday, September 10, 2008

twitters

I am trying to understand twitter, but I still feel like the point of it is essentially updating your facebook status and in that regard its just another form of voyeurism. When I first joined twitter to follow Gustav I didn’t know who else would be good to follow. I remembered reading an article in Wired about Julia Allison who essentially made herself famous from twittering and blogging, almost a Paris Hilton of the blogosphere. So I followed her, which really only confirmed my confusion with the purpose of twitter because all of her twitters were about what designer outfit she was wearing and what cleanse she was currently on. I was glad that in the article “Newspapers that Twitter” had a list of people to follow. I concluded form the article “Newspapers that twitter” that twitters best purpose is to report breaking news such as the earthquake in California or the one in the United Kingdom or the verdict from the Lewis Scooter Libby trial, but it seems difficult to know what people to follow and who will have that type of breaking news. I guess part of it is being at the right place at the right time. I think newspapers who twitter can absolutely benefit from using twitter because after someone receives a twitter they can look for the full story on the newspapers website or at the newspaper itself. In the article “Old Thinking Permeates Major Journalism School” when Alana said she was the only blogger in her classroom I wasn’t to surprised, I feel like in high school I knew a lot of people that blogged but it was such a self serving act that I never wanted to do it or be so public about it, that and it seemed a little narcissistic to think other people really cared about what you were doing, so maybe I till have that mindset with blogging. I do think that if you have a niche then blogging can be very profitable. In the article “Cover: Mind the Gap” what resonated with me was that when you go to school you expect to be taught what you need to go into the working world, however with the curriculum being so slow to change and no one really no where the industry is going for sure its hard to know what exactly we need to learn. Also the article states that many of our professors come from the old school of journalism and aren’t completely grasping the new waves of technology. I agree with the article in that the best thing we can do is to have an environment where you can collaborate with other students and with the professor in order to make the most beneficial learning environment possible.

7 comments:

Heather Steely said...

I never really stopped to consider social networking sites that include status updates as voyeuristic. Is it truly scandalous for an individual to share with the masses what he or she is doing or feeling?

Meagan Meyer said...

Maybe the word voyeurism was a bit strong. We can all choose what we put online about ourselves and because of that its more of a controlled environment and not completely voyeuristic. I do agree with an article I read that says "the secret of successful social networking might well be the appeal to the voyeuristic nature of people." So maybe its more the voyeuristic nature of people than absolute voyeurism.

Heather Steely said...

I like that quote! And, I agree. That's a topic that could make for some very interesting research!

Alana said...

Don't judge services by the people who use them. Julia Allison is one of thousands of people around the world who use Twitter.

Why is blogging a self serving act that seems narcissistic? Because people can read what you are doing? I like to think of it as a way of documenting my life. I'd like to keep records of what I did so that when I am older I can look back at my experiences and when I die people can see what I did.

Blogging is about spreading information, knowledge, and ideas. It connects you with other people who are spreading the same things and are interested in the same things. It brings people together and it doesn't have to be a narcissistic tool if you learn how to use it correctly.

MairaLG said...

The problem with Julia Allison is she has no substance. You're right Meagan, she is the Paris Hilton of the Internet.

Anonymous said...

narcissistic, not because people can read what you are doing, but because you think they should care.

Meagan Meyer said...

I have only been on twitter for about two weeks, so with my limited experience with it and by only following a few people, those were my first and only observations of it. I am sure as I follow more people I will understand it and appreciate it more. Aside from the class blog when I hear the word blog I tend to think of personal blogs, which are the ones I have mostly come into contact with and I feel many of those were very self-serving. I am sure that there are many blogs that are useful tools for spreading information.