Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I have more questions than answers!

After reading the article by Alana Taylor about her disappointment in the new media class she was taking at NYU and the article by Jones and Cutler about how “J-schools” today aren’t in sync with newsrooms, I started thinking about something Teresa Fore mentioned in class last semester. She was talking about how, as an undergraduate student at UT, she felt the mass communication curriculum was far out of touch with the media industry. The classes offered were perhaps too theoretical, too focused on the history of media, and not necessarily practical for preparing students expecting to enter the job market. The “Gap” Cutler and Jones mention is just a more detailed version of the concept Teresa described. And that got me thinking some more . . . is it just the “big ego” schools that are out of touch with the technologies currently being used by professional media? Or, is it large universities? In theory, it’s much easier for a small organization to adapt to change. Is this what’s happening? The little guy does an about-face to catch the crowd, but the big guy isn’t fit for the race? I’m curious to know what’s driving mass communication and journalism schools’ curriculums. So many factors to consider!

Referring back to the article by Taylor, I do think she was a bit overly critical of both the new media class and her professor. While I appreciate her understanding of the importance of new media technologies, I think there is a lot to be said for understanding the history of media. Plus, I’m a newspaper girl! I love to get quick news blurbs on news sites, but, for the detail, you have to pick up a print copy!! Besides, reading the paper is one of my guilty pleasures. I get to do it at work and they pay me for it!! hehe

As for the article about newspapers that Twitter, I was really excited to learn that the Statesman ranks in the top http://twitter.com/statesman! I was anticipating this would be the case, but it still made me smile like an idiot to see it in print! The monthly user averages aren’t very high, though. I’m wondering if that’s because Twitter is still relatively new? Or, if it’ll follow the pattern that blogging did. For every few new users, a few old ones fall off the grid?

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I remember Theresa talking about that. One of the reasons I wanted to get my Masters is because I wanted to learn more new skills. It seems that Cindy's classes are really the only courses offered at Texas State that are skills based - or have skills involved. I wish there were more.

The Mighty Favog said...

Heather,

As an old fossil who went to J-school a generation and change ago, let me say that it's the same as it ever was . . . to rip off Talking Heads, a band from a generation and change ago.

We all end up getting mugged by the future. That's why the day you stop learning is the day you've pretty much outlived your usefulness.

Nowadays, media folks are all trying to learn and adapt. The problem is that publishers and CEOs are out chasing short-term "efficiencies" instead of formulating a viable long-term strategy.

And it's not just newspapers. It's radio, too. Heck, pick an industry . . . any industry.

Alana said...

Define overly critical.

Criticism, if taken personally can -- yes -- be misconstrued as being "overly" (whatever that means).

But my piece wasn't personal.

And I don't understand your argument about there being a lot to be said for understanding the history of media. Can you elaborate? I understand the history of media very well. Enough so that I can tell you that my understanding of it has allowed me to foster my own judgments about it's future!

Well newspaper girl, blogging is one of my guilty pleasures I suppose. So, touche.

Heather Steely said...

The difference with print news sources and new media is that print contains a wider variety of information in one place. Whereas, when people search online for news, they most often search for information by preference and miss that variety of news content they would have found just flipping through a printed publication. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE surfing for news online. But, when I want the details, I pick up a paper.

That's part of the reason I think you were overly critical of your class. Taking a copy of the daily paper isn't too much to ask in the least. It carries value, and I don't think you agree because you haven't had enough exposure. But, as a newspaper girl, I can tell you that the paper I work for thrives in its market for a reason. Plus, its website is tops in the country for market penetration. Bundle print with online, and the paper's rockin'!

As for your teacher, establishing a new class is an evolving project that needs time to mature. Instead of criticizing your professor's methods, have you considered being her TA next semester? Or establishing an independent study program with her as your advisor to help her develop the class into something more practical?

When I suggested you may not appreciate the history of media when you should, I'm referring back to the origin of newspapers and why they were established. Go back to the beginning and you'll understand why newspapers will never die!!

Anonymous said...

amen newspaper girl! you go sister.

she has a tendency, i think, of being critical just to be critical. maybe that's what it means to be a great blogger such as herself. she made it appear as if the class was as painful as reading her assigned article.

there is a difference of being critical and constructive.