Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Learning papyrus crafting in the age of the printing press

"Newsrooms and classrooms 'are not in sync,'"...
I attended a small private liberal arts university in Belton, TX. I took Journalism as an undergraduate and I think I might have spent no more than 30 minutes a week in a computer lab and I was solely using word processing and a bit of page layout. And I still struggle with word processing.
My program felt like a joke... and up until reading this first article, "Mind the Gap," I blamed it on the proximity and size of my university.
I agree with many of the other sentiments expressed here, I am very appreciative of our program here. Not only do we receive the theory and foundations of journalism, we are equipped with very relevant skills by professors who are active in staying involved and in-touch with the field.
In nearly every course I have been enrolled in as a grad student, there has been a serious, honest discourse about the transition to online and more technical coverage and reporting of the news. And it has been very balanced with no courses or professors throwing out the baby with the bath water for either camp.

NYU sounds depressing. I bet we could have scored a few NYU trust funds for our SXSW Interactive badges last semester.

And for the last article, when I read it the first time I remember feeling "Pssh... got the T-shirt"... even though I missed following Gustav on Twitter due to Labor Day business. Busted.

In honor of our programs relevancy to the current state of journalism, I have decided to post a series of honorary "new media" videos...
Enjoy!
-Chris



And finally...

5 comments:

Alana said...

If you think NYU sounds depressing your making a big mistake.

NYU is one of the best schools in the country.

If I didn't go to NYU, live in NYC, and get all the internships and jobs I got because of it -- you can be sure you wouldn't be assigned to write about an article I wrote.

Think about it.

Cindy Royal said...

One of the things I enjoy about this environment is the ability for anyone with a thought-provoking idea to express it to a potentially broad audience. We (as a class) cultivate these items from a variety of sources. We critique a broad range of online discourse because I'm interested in students' perspectives. I'd be interested in any mass comm students' critique of their curriculum.

Chris Troutman said...

... I made my observation based on the tone(bratty) of your "article".

You're opinion loses effectiveness when you go from wah wah to rah rah.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

you nailed it chris. brat for sure. and she can't have it both ways.