Tuesday, September 2, 2008

They Call Me J-Zillion

Actually no one calls me that...but I'm hoping it'll catch on. "They" really call me Jon Zmikly because that's my name.

I recently found a neat service called Cha-Cha. You basically text any question to 424424 (C-H-A-C-H-A) and they'll answer it as best they can. Two days ago I asked them "Who is Jon Zmikly?" and here's what I got:

"Jon Zmikly is a grad assistant at Texas State University in San Marcos, TX."

So I guess that sums me up...at least that's probably what you'll find if you Google me. You may also find that I moved here from Michigan about a year ago, where I studied Broadcast and Cinematic Arts at Central Michigan University. I've had two internships at news stations, and I worked at an oldies radio station for about four months before moving here. I currently teach a lab of MC1313 Writing for the Mass Media, and I'm the executive producer of Bobcat Update and a student-run talk show called "To The Point."

I'm really excited for this class because I've always wanted to be web-savvy. I recently started to update my church's website, and I want to have a presentable resume website when this class is over. I am getting into the whole new media scene, and it's so interesting to see traditional media evolve into something completely new. It's definitely a good time to be in the business.

I have recently signed up for Twitter and Friendfeed. I have a del.icio.us site. I have a Facebook page, a LinkedIn profile and a Youtube account. I author a blog about my life and times in Texas, and I created a semi-professional website in Cindy's multimedia class last semester. I'm still learning what I can use each for and how they can help me communicate online, and so far most of them have proven extremely useful. I can't wait to make all the sites for this class and learn more about the trends of the industry.

No comments: