Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A little bit about me

I hope everyone had a lovely Labor Day. I'm Maira Garcia. I've been in a couple of Cindy's classes now and loved every second of them. It is my second semester as a grad student. I'll probably be around for about another year, but I'm working on getting out sooner :)

While I am not in class, I'm a GA for Kym Fox, so I teach two of her Intro to Mass Media Writing labs. In between that, I do coverage on the elections for MTV's Choose or Lose street team. You can see some of videos and blog posts here. This week I'm going to either Austin or San Antonio to cover McCain acceptance speech watch parties for them. If you can't tell already, I LOVE politics. My Twitter feed is dedicated to that (with the occasional blurb about myself) and I'm trying to develop a following. Feel free to add me if you haven't already while tracking Gustav. Somewhere in between that I sleep, take care of my two new miniature dachshund puppies and a fiancee.

When I grow up, I want to be a new media journalist. My background is in print, but I love this new era we are in and want to be a part of merging new technologies with solid journalism. Once my post with Choose or Lose is up after the elections, I want to start a political news blog aimed at college-aged people. I know what I learn in this class will help me immensely with that endeavor. One thing at a time though...

No comments: