Wednesday, September 10, 2008

J-Schools and Adapting to New Media

The articles that were assigned highlighted the "gap" between "old school" and "new school" forms of journalism. I empathize for Alana Taylor and her prof Quigley who at times doesn't seem to "get" new media. The older forms of journalism permeate throughout the department. I am very fortunate for having the choice of concentrating on New Media because it is changing our everyday lives through communication. I made my first website in a little over a week in Cindy's spring new media class, which really thrilled me. I'm eager to learn more in this multimedia production class. Innovation in technology has changed the landscape of journalism and other forms of mass communication for that matter. These days for "quarter-lifers" digital know-how is a must to compete in the job market. All j-schools must experiment with old and new to blend them for future mass communicators. While reporting and writing are important, knowing the technical skills in an online enviroment is just as important. Curriculum should use the best of both worlds to maximize a student's learning experience.

I had heard of Twitter before but had never understood it's impact to disseminate information. With iPhones and other cell phones with web capabilities, a quick "tweet" is just as informative as a newsbreak on the radio or television. I felt relieved to see that many of the big newspapers have Twitter accounts, including my source of news the Austin American-Statesman . What is even cooler, is that smaller newspapers are also twittering. I believe that Twitter will make news easier to digest, as well as a more interactive way to report news. Follow me on Twitter @skb7483.

4 comments:

Alana said...

How do you empathize with me? It sounds like you have been fortunate enough to have some very advanced new media classes.

When did you see old thinking permeate? Do you remember an instance? And if so... how did it make you feel? What are some of the changes you would want to see at your school.

...or do you feel hesitant to criticize your school now that you've seen the sort of reactions it can generate, hm? Hehe.

P.S. Can't we agree that the fact that you were told to react to my article is proof and evidence of the power of the blogosphere? I'm just a silly 20 yr old in college, yet I was able to shake the country in tiniest quake... through the internet.

Anonymous said...

how did you shake the country? complaining about your professor and class on a blog article confirms you as nothing more than a silly 20 yr old in college, not earth shaking.

Jon Zmikly said...

Like Scott, I can definitely empathize with Alana. As graduate students, our first experience with new media has been in a couple classes at unassuming Texas State University. It's unreal how we've gotten this far in our education in studying MASS MEDIA and still haven't had even a basic training in current trends or technology that would prepare us for the next step as professionals. Students like Scott (if I can speak for him) and myself are not so much criticizing this program as we are talking about departments across the country and writing our personal experiences (or lack thereof) to seek change.

We are all close with professors here at Texas State, and most of them feel the same way about our need to incorporate new media in the curriculum. No one here is afraid to talk about the status quo because it's only when we point out our weaknesses that we can grow in the program.

Scott Barrus said...

Yeah, I can relate to what Jon has blogged. It wasn't until grad school that I was exposed to New Media. And I never criticized our wonderful university, I just stated that I have taken some courses with my way or the highway profs who are insistent on their set ways. Curriculum needs to be constantly updated to be more resourceful for the students.