Tuesday, September 7, 2010

We are in the future


While I am very disappointed at the lack of flying cars, we are most definitely in the future. It's not quite like the Jetsons interpretation, but pretty close. We have robots to clean our floors, refrigerators that can talk to us and give us recipes and ingredients, while I've only seen them at the airport, we have conveyer belts to transport us, even if just 100 feet, and we now have 3-D TVs. It's ridiculous. Now Steve Jobs is taking everything we do in life to another level...again.

Originally, he innovated the way we listen to music, now he's innovating the way we do everything in life from how we listen and share music to how we watch TV.

New innovations:

New iPod Touch
It is even more like the iPhone without the phone feature. It even has FaceTime video calling and HD video recording capabilities, among other awesome improvements. Who ever thought their walkman could do so much?? This is basically the iPhone for those of us brand-loyal Verizon customers who still wanna have all the fun you AT&T customers are having while we wait out for the day when Verizon to carry the iPhone that seems will never (and probably won't ever) happen. It also always seems like once I finally get something high-tech, the come out with a bigger and better one... I just got an iPod touch for graduation last May.

Reinvention of the iPod Nano with Multi-Touch
This thing is ridiculously small and somehow they expect people to be able to use them. Unless they're supposed to be used by children, I really can't imagine a person able to use this successfully. Maybe like any new product, it will take a little bit to get used to, but we'll see. I don't have much to say about it. I really need to just see it in person, I guess.

New iPod Shuffle
There's not much to say here either since it is just a newer model of the last one. I loved my shuffle when I had one because it was perfect to work out with since it's so light, but I just got an arm band for my iPod touch and the problem was solved. New things are always fun and shiny, though.

iTunes 10 with Ping
Another amazing innovation Mr. Jobs had up his sleeve. I mean, it's been entirely too long since iTunes was updated last ;) If we didn't have enough means to know what everyone says and does, now we need to know what music they listen to. I do think this is pretty awesome, though. I'll download a whole bunch of songs and then don't for a long time and then don't know what to download because I'm sheltered and don't know about good music other than what I hear on the radio a zillion times a day, so I would most definitely benefit from this. I never know what to search for, and while Genius makes it a little easier, now I know that I will be able to search through my friends' music to see what they're listening to that I'm not with Ping. It's pretty exciting.

Finally, and certainly not the least important:
New Apple TV
One word. Awesome. As if we didn't need something else to make our lives super easy. Now we can do everything from our couch. With a smaller design and smaller price tag, Apple offers a newer, better way to stream video to your TV. It's an amazing new way to experience entertainment in your home with streaming from Netflix, YouTube, and Flikr. The nice price and size make it much more attainable to the masses as well, so more people will buy it, and Steve can make more money. While this is freaking awesome, I have a Nintendo Wii to stream my Netflix, an XBOX, DVD player, along with four other outdated, while still nostalgic and working, gaming systems, so at this point in my life, I don't need another device to put in my entertainment system. No matter how small.

After all this, along with tons of other high-tech improvements not listed here and not designed by Apple, we are in the future. We can see people while we talk on the phone with them, we can see people on different continents, we can stream internet videos and pictures to our TV, we can listen to unlimited music anywhere, at any time, as well as an array of other things my mom couldn't do when she was my age. I'm loving it.

No comments: