Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My SXSW Panel Picks

Browsing through the thousands of panels vying to be chosen for SXSW in the Spring, something surprised me: I didn't feel as "out of my league" as I thought I would. In fact, I was familiar with the majority of the topics, and I already knew quite a bit about the issues addressed by many of them. When I went on to read the descriptions, I was even more surprised about how interested I was in the topics...so here are my picks for this year's panels

A major theme that emerged in last semester's New Media Issues class is the future shift in data storage to the 'cloud'. Storing our information in a virtual space on the internet, rather than on physical hard drives. Using cloud technology will allow us easier, more widespread access to our information from any outlet, rather than from our own computers. However, there are issues that come along with moving our information online, including greater risk of our information being stolen or our privacy being violated. I thought this panel looked interesting because it addresses the convenience of the cloud as well as those risks associated with putting our information online.

Continuing with the idea of the cloud, The Future of Music panel addresses cloud computing for music storage through services like Rdio, Mog, and Spotify. These programs allow users subscribe (for usually around $9.99 a month), download unlimited music, and access it anywhere. It is a significant alternative to how the majority of users download music (via iTunes or other online stores). Similarly, Digital Music ADD: Streaming, Clouds, and Stores addresses the positives and negatives for both consumers and musicians to using these cloud services. I've actually been using Mog for the past few months, trying to get myself to switch to it. While it is saving me money (I would usually spend more than $10 on music per month), I am still having trouble shifting my thinking about music ownership. Since the music isn't really mine (and I can't burn CDs or transfer them to my iTunes account), I just don't feel like I'm really downloading it. I think these panels will be interesting because they directly addresses the issues arising from cloud-based music services and explain how these services will be used in the future.

As you can probably tell, I am extremely interested in music and everything about the industry, and I feel like I need to stay on top of the shifts in music's relationship to new technology. For example, Finding Music with Pictures: Data Visualization for Discovery talks about how visual images such as artist maps or virtual environments could be used to help users discover new music. This is an intriguing idea, especially since people are no longer relying on album reviews in major magazines or radio playlists to discover new music these days.

The last panel I wanted to highlight addresses society's need for entertainment and how nonprofits or social causes can engage social media users in their cause: Why Lady Gaga Has More Followers Than Obama . While the name is funny, it seems like the panel will actually be addressing some serious topics, such as why we are more interested and engaged in trivial things like celebrity news and entertainment rather than social issues that directly affect us.

1 comment:

Paul said...

These look like great panels, can't wait to check them out when I get there. Oh, and if anybody is still looking for places to stay in Austin, check out this site I found.