Wednesday, September 15, 2010

last week's "History of the Internet" video



I like to keep things funny. What mean, "funny." If ever I need a really great laugh, I go to Cracked.com or look up lolcats or demotivational posters.

But where can I find these epic, user-created comedic masterpieces?!

Well, my good friends, you've come to the right place: the internet!

Our Online Media Design class viewed a segment of video on The History of the Internet. While the video itself was a little dated, the information remains relevant and provides a glimpse into the process of making probably the most used communication platform on Earth.

The video covered lots of ground: from the space race to the phone companies' epic fail when they decided to skip out on having a stake in the production of the internet.

To have been a part of the handfuls of folks that made the web a reality must be, well, super neat-0. So many hurdles, problems, complications, non-believers, and so little money. But they did it anyway.

I have seen the video once before and the same notion sticks out in my mind: They did this for free! Ray Tomlinson, the inventor of The Killer App! - email - said he worked on figuring out how to deliver electronic messages because he though it would be cool. Wait, wha? Fame and fortune were not the motivators of Mr. Tomlinson back in the '70s. Instead, what made him jump through coded hoops was the idea of innovation. That, to me, is way too rad.

These guys had no idea what was in their hands and now the world owes them infinite high-fives.

No comments: