Thursday, September 2, 2010

Apple's Fall Event

At the Apple Fall Event on September 1 this year, Steve Jobs announced a number of innovations and upgrades to Apple’s product offerings: iPod now includes FaceTime, Retina display, HD video recording, and Game Center; iPod Nano has Multi-Touch (but please don’t make it any smaller or I’ll need a stylus to operate it); iPod shuffle now has buttons, VoiceOver and even playlists; iTunes 10 is coming with Ping; Apple TV facilitates streaming of photos and music from the Mac and pumps HD movies and TV shows to one’s widescreen TV.

Apple has been quick to address iOS criticisms, as well – showing that it continues to support the devices its customers already own. One of the exciting announcements is that of iOS 4.1 (available now) and the “pre-nouncement” of iOS 4.2, with Air Play and new iPad print capability for iOS. Thought apparently not a major talking point at the Fall Event, what excites me the most is the cogency of interfaces between iPad, iPhone, and iPod. Everything looks and operates in the same manner!

I’m a BIG iTunes user, approaching 37,000 for my tune count. I love its search function, and use iTunes (and my round-bottomed iMac) like a jukebox. The announced Ping function of iTunes 10 – a meshing of Twitter-type functions with iTunes – will be useful for those who interact over music and by those who follow new music – especially when following indy artists (who may not be getting media exposure afforded to the big-name artists).

How do the other Applegoodies relate to me? I have never owned an iPhone (it’s unavailable for Sprint PCS) nor an iPod (can’t listen at work; when I’m not at work, I am already in front of iTunes on my Mac, studio style). I don’t know how what features they have now, so I can’t assess how allegedly comparatively inadequate the current versions are compared to the upcoming ones. Those who use these devices, though, have reason to be excited - so says The Steve. (Also sprach Stevathustra?)

Though I have never had one, the new Nanos are GREAT ! I already wear a big wristwatch, and Nano comes with a display that looks like an analog clock… hmmmm... I think I may be able to talk myself into one before Christmas! Sadly, since the iPad is cost prohibitive (for me), I also do not own one of them, but I like the idea that it is incrementally evolving into a flat, touch-screen netbook/Kindle/whatever (now with print function!). For those who can keep up with these innovations, it just gets better and better.

I don’t watch TV as a general rule - I don’t like the content or the presentation. Apple TV, however, might be just the ticket for me – I can go “on demand” for just about everything I want to see, when I want to see it! Not only that, but I have (for over a decade now, as time permits) spent time digitizing and organizing all of the media from our family archives – Apple TV will even be the perfect way to enjoy (and work with) that stuff, too.

By the way, Steve Jobs is looking kinda ragged. Has he been ill?

No comments: