Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Apple's new line of technology

When Apple came out on September 1, 2010 with their new line of Apple products, for the most part it was nothing new. Just a few new upgrades to some older technology. No big deal. What I did find as a big deal was the idea of Ping. I believe someone else posted before me about Ping being the death blow to MySpace. To whomever it was, you are absolutely correct. There are people that I know who only keep MySpace around to interact with various bands and through those people, I am able to learn about new bands, old bands releasing new stuff, band breakups, etc. Now with Ping on my iTunes, I don't necessarily have to explain to anyone about any bands that I like. I just favorite a few songs, and boom! just like the "Like" application on Facebook, my friends can see what I like and who I like in the music world. And if that isn't cool enough, as of this publication date, Ping has gone over 1 million users already. Pretty cool. I just recently upgraded my iTunes to 10 and as soon as this blog is finished, I think I will check it out.

The next big idea from Apple is AppleTV. $4.99 for first run movies and 99 cents for HD TV shows that you can play on that brand new 56" 1080i LCD TV. While I like where Apple has their heads, I just cannot get on board with this. Maybe it is just the whole price issue with me, or maybe it is because my memory of movies and TV shows is so great that I can remember key points of those shows without having to watch them over and over again. And my memory is free.

I am fairly jealous of the new iPod Touch and the Retina display technology. However, I also view the iPod Touch as the "poor man's iPhone". You get all the availabilities of the iPhone except for the ability to call. As I said before, basically they just took the iPod Touch and made it into the "poor man's iPhone4" just like they made the earlier iPod Touch to resemble the iPhone 3G and 3GS models.

Probably the biggest headscratcher came with the new iPod Nano and it's full touch screen. I thought they were doing away with the Nano a few years ago? Yet, now it is back with a vengeance and touch screen at that. My original thought and still is my thought on the Nano is, "This product is for girls due to their smaller hands."

No comments: