Monday, September 27, 2010

SXSW Interactive Panels

South By Southwest is fast approaching, which means it is time to start researching who you want to see before it gets too late and you're too overwhelmed. Here are a few of the SXSW Interactive panels that caught my eye and hope to go see in March.

The Legal Ramifications of Saying "I'm Sorry" by Paula Berg, Linhart Public Relations

This panel will combine lawyers to discuss the legal issues associated with using the phrase, "I'm Sorry," rather than something like, "I regret." At first glance, I agree with those who commented on this panel. I always wonder how much is too much information to share, and it seems this panel will discuss this information. One thing I didn't initially think about, was saying, "I'm Sorry." I can understand that sometimes saying, "sorry" can automatically make you at fault, so I'm sure legal teams will tell you to avoid that word whenever possible. I think it is good to leave a multimedia or interactive event with some legal insight to primarily save you time and money, but to also know, whenever possible, when to say what and if you are being wronged without having to wait for the aid of a legal team.

By Kriselle Laran, bullfrog-media.com

This sounds like an interesting approach to marketing. Business professionals may be too focused on what they learned in school and in the workplace, and may be missing the point they're trying to get across. I think what Kriselle is saying is that many times it can be helpful to forget everything you've learned for 15 minutes and hang out with a 5-year-old. Theoretically and literally. It also appears that other aspects of kindergarten will be addressed in relation to marketing as well: dealing with bullies, learning to share, and doing the most with the little amount of time allotted to complete a task.

By Chelsey Delaney, Carnegie Mellon University

Much like Jim Lyttle who commented on this panel, I was a little confused by the purpose of this panel as well, but Chelsey cleared that up pretty well. I know that many companies are using humor more often to keep the interest of the over-saturated consumers, but not so much in the design aspect. This should be an interesting, and assumingly humorous, approach from the design perspective. Hopefully this panel will further evaluate and uncover ways to use humor for serious issues.

By Peter Merholz, Adaptive Path

I was honestly drawn to this panel initially by its name. Like much of technology, many of the things discussed in this panel started out as convenience but became a necessity. The speakers will go through their experiences and how they've improved their own strategies and where to go from here to improve more. According to the comments, these guys are credible, knowledgeable, and are great people all around.

By David Carr, New York Times

I can most definitely relate to this. His job seems ideal to what I do with my day every day. Using social media as a career and once you're done, do it all again. If I got paid for how much I'm on Facebook or the Internet in general, I would have a pretty good life. I love how it seems, though, as if he never gets anything done by all the "nothing" that he does. And he puts things into perspective when questioning whether the Internet is the greatest productivity tool ever or the greatest destroyer of initiative and long thoughts. I would love to see this panel and evaluate this question myself.

If I had to choose just five panels of all the ones already approved, these would definitely be ones I would choose. They cover various bases and will hopefully provide a well-rounded approach to interactive media.

No comments: