Tuesday, September 28, 2010

SXSW Interactive Panel


When I think of SXSW, I think of music, entertainment, and awards given out. I have never branched out to the interactive panels before now. Looking over the hundreds of proposed panels I was impressed. I found all kinds of interesting things in the field of media design and mass communication. Also, I found a lot of funny title pages that caught my attention. All I can say is that I am a sucker for funny titles.

The first proposal I found was directly for our class. Hacking the News: Applying Computer Science to Journalism. What I understand in this panel is they are trying to tie computer science and journal together to make them co-exist with each to “create a structured data that can be mashed up in easier ways for readers”(B. Herman). After reading the article I looked in the comment box and who would of known, that our Teacher Cindy Royal wants to organize Hack/Hackers chapter Austin to help meld these two groups together.

The next few panels I found were some that had hilarious titles like “Help Save SXSW from Marketer Douchebaggery” (good luck on that one), “My kindergartner Markets Better than you,” and “Your mom has a Ipad: designer for boomers.”

Even though these panels title may not seem serious they grabbed my attention and sucked me in. After fully reading the panels I found most had valid points and reasoning to have a panel. “Save SXSW from Marketer Douchbaggery” might be a long shot, since good things always attract bad or annoying people. It seems like a long shot for this panel.

The “kindergartner markets better” had some good imagery of how we could look outside the box in a 5 yrs view. Another great way to look at marketing “Your mom has an Ipad.” For instance, this panel would focus on more of an Apple’s idea of marketing by exploring whether there is a simple way to market, which may speak to multiple generations.

Lastly, the “Social Media and Comedy” was very interesting to me because I have a friend who is a comedian named Bryan Gutmann in Austin. He uses social media such as YouTube and Facebook to promote his stand-up. Having a panel for this genre would help the growth our comedians in the city of Austin, which would be a cheep and affordable way to present their talent.



After looking SXSW interactive submission of panels I am now aware and understand that this great event encompasses many more areas than music, entertainment, and the awards.

No comments: