Wednesday, September 15, 2010

History of the Internet

This viewing of the video was, like a few others in the class, my second time to watch the movie. Although I do have to say that I didn't retain much from the first viewing of the video. But that is beside the point. Speaking of points, there are a few of them that I saw as pretty interesting while watching the video again.

When you log onto the internet, the only authority figure that you know of within the web are those who host websites and the internet service providers who allow you the access to the web. Yet, the truth is that no one really controls the internet. Just think about that for a moment. Have you ever asked yourself the question of, "Does someone control the internet?" Kinda interesting thought if you ask me.

Another point of interest to me is the fact that back in the 40s and 50s, computers got the same respect as UFOs and laser guns. And when I say they got respect, I mean that they were horribly over-exaggerated but the fact is that they were depicted in movies back then is interesting if you love foreshadowing.

Something that I also found interesting was the fact that the main invention of the internet had basically been left up to grad students. That kinda tells me that the brains of the 'Net really didn't mind if it failed or not. However, an interesting point was made...Had ARPAnet failed, would we know the internet as it is today? Or would we be without it. We will never know....

No comments: