Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Simple Visions Turn into Revolutionary Possibilities


This is my second time watching the History of the Internet and I am still amazed at the way the inventors of e-mail and ethernet and the like talked so casually about their drive and fascination to create some of the most widely used applications and products for the Web. It surprised me the first time and it still gets me now. I thought for sure that both Ray Tomlinson and Robert Metcalfe would have had more of a desire to impact the world and earn millions of dollars, but Ray Tomlinson created e-mail to simply make it easier for him and his company to communicate around the office. And that's how he spoke about it in the interview. So casual, like it was no big deal at the time. And at the time, it wasn't. But, he had no idea what he created in the sense of how many people would be affected. That's just amazing. What an awesome thing to have one simple vision turn into something completely revolutionary for the whole world to potentially take part in.

I think it's really neat to see interviews of those guys. The Web has changed immensely from 10 years ago, but e-mail has impacted the world on many levels and is still continuing to do so today. I would hope we would still be able to get interviews from those guys even today. I wonder if they would say anything differently from the video 10 years ago. My guess is no.

No comments: