Wednesday, September 29, 2010

SXSW panels and the future of journalism

There is a lot going on at SXSW. I mean, A LOT. But these are my top five Interactive panels so far.

1. Bloggers vs. Journalists: It's a Psychological Thing
I would probably go to any panel organized by Jay Rosen, but this one is especially interesting to me. The idea of Bloggers vs. Journalists, or rather Journalists vs. Bloggers, is still ruffling feathers in newsrooms, and it's just silly at this point. I think it's a detriment to the newsroom, and "real journalists" who dismiss the web are missing the point.

2. Will News Apps Re-Invent Journalism?
Like No. 1, this hits close to home for me. Newspaper companies are scrambling to keep up with new technology. Newspapers can't wait to get their hands on apps, but it doesn't seem like they know what to do with them when they get them. And sometimes, the apps never even make it to people because the companies can't agree on who gets the biggest piece of the money pie. Will news apps re-invent journalism? I'd like to know the answer to that.

3. Offline America, Why We Have A Digital Divide
Reading about this panel made me stop and say, "Wait, wait, WAIT." The description says, "There is a complex combination of emotional, political and logistical reasons why 35% of Americans have no broadband at home and why 22% do not use the Internet at all. We can't start solving the problem until we understand it." While I firmly believe assistance should be given to people who want the Internet and can't get it, whether it's because of financial reasons or location or some other reason, I think people who choose not to live their lives online should be left alone. Why is it a problem? I hope the panel is a little more clear.

4. Beyond Check-Ins: Location Based Game Design
This is a new concept for me, and I find myself really interested in it. As someone who tends to adopt trends late, that says a lot. Location based social media has a lot of potential, and I think we're just seeing the beginning of what it can and will do. Newspapers, for example, haven't really considered using LBS to their advantage, but it's coming.

5. Mistakes I Made Building Netflix for the iPhone
OK, this one isn't really about journalism, but I love, love, LOVE Netflix. It sounds like it will be an informative and entertaining panel. It should also be interesting to anyone interested in how apps are built and how they work.

As for the keynote speakers, I'd see Blake Mycoskie of TOMS Shoes. A successful business with a genuine social conscience? WHAT? That alone is a cause for hope.

Check out the complete list of confirmed 2011 SXSW Interactive sessions.

Looking forward to seeing the next round of panels Nov. 8.

No comments: