Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Project 3

I have always been inspired by the works of Studs Terkel, particularly the anthologies of interviews that he conducted later in his life. I read this book, Working, a few years ago and it stirred up an interest in me regarding how our lives are (or are not) defined by our work. Barbara Ehrenreich is another author who has explored what our work really means when it comes to evaluating life.
I am particularly inspired by what it means to be 'working class', and how that demographic is viewed with a slight sneer and a twinge of pity even though that title defines most of America.

I would like to launch a project called 'Do Good Work' that allows me to examine my experiences as a working class woman, provide a venue for others (through interview or first hand account) to express their stories, as well as examining people like Terkel, Ehrenreich, and other pop culture representations (such as the TV sitcom, Roseanne) that have helped wipe the dirt off of the viewing glass of the 'lower class', and have given depth, humanity, and value to what is the majority of our country.


No comments: