Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Great Head of Hair


First thing I noticed was, would you look at that mane! Great head of hair.

As many know, I am very knew to being a technology junkie. I never knew who Bob Metcalfe was until this summer. I am constantly reading articles about everything under the sun related to technology. My favorite website is Fast Company because it doesn't simply focus on technology, but it has a great emphasis on innovative ideas.

I enjoyed hearing about Steve Jobs and all his stories about ARPAnet and his story. What stood out to me was the information about his innovation class. He seemed to take a "honest enthusiasm" approach with is students. He is honest and makes sure not to kill their dreams or ideas at the same time. There has been much made in the media about how the United States is losing its creativity and schools should start encouraging creative thinking. His tools that he felt were needed to be innovative were so simple. It goes along with the theme we discovered to be constant that all great innovations start from a very basic need or necessity.

One of the most important lessons I learned from him was humility. When he said he was forced out of being CEO of the company he built, and how he took the news. He spoke about how at first he was upset but then grew to accept it because he realized his limitations. Knowing your limitations is another characteristic we discovered this summer.

I also thoroughly enjoyed him saying you should have numerous careers, which i took him as saying make sure that whatever you are doing be passionate about it and when the passion is gone move to something your passionate about.

Here is an article from Fast Company on innovation

No comments: