Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bob Metcalfe


Before the Metcalfe interview last Wednesday, I wasn't sure what to expect or how Metcalfe would respond to a class full of graduate students eager to discover more about his accomplishments. But, after listening to the interesting tale of his childhood, his early background and his recent endeavors, I found the event very interesting.

I think it's ironic yet fascinating how he was initially involved with architecture and how his first assignment of 'drawing your own hand' is what made him change his mind entirely. It's somewhat crazy to think about who would've invented the Ethernet if Metcalfe would've become an architect instead. I'm sure he's glad that he didn't. :)

Overall, I think the discussion about his early days with the ARPA Net, Xerox, the Aloha Network and 3Com painted a picture of not only his intelligence but the efforts and struggles for his success. He described several situations in which he 'failed' or maybe circumstantial events that didn't play in his favor. But, he credits his success to his parents who pushed him toward a college education and the hard work and effort he exerted into everything he pursued.

Because of the recent, tragic death of Steve Jobs, I was most touched by Metcalfe's reminiscence of the past he shared with Steve. When Metcalfe spoke of his first phone call from Steve and how he was pressured to become an employee of Apple in the early days, it almost felt like I was a little closer to the Steve Jobs. And, his story about his blind date with Steve and the tire changing incident just heightened the feeling of closeness. Metcalfe's kind, honest words of the great hero were like final, parting words. It was very touching.

I realize others have pointed out the five lessons Metcalfe wants each of his students to learn from his classes, but I, too, find each of them important and beneficial to my educational, professional and personal life.

The first lesson, health, is crucial to our survival. I lost my grandmother to cancer seven years today, October 26, 2004. I realized after her death just how short our time really is and how important our general health and well being is in order for us to survive.

Another lesson, speaking, is detrimental in building long-lasting relationships and friendships. We must be able to communicate in our personal lives, during our educational careers and most importantly, as professionals. The act of communicating effectively and efficiently can make or break how other people perceive you as a person.

An additional skill we must develop and maintain, writing, is also beneficial to various aspects of our lives. In today's society, we have immense opportunities to express ourselves. A growing way of expression is through technology and social media. But, in order to build our unique brand, we must write as well as we speak. It's important in building your character.

Those who are able to plan not only have greater successes but are better able to control their stress on their way to success. Planning is key to organization. When you make a plan or lots of plans, you can then create goals, dreams, ideas, lists, steps, etc. I may not always follow through with certain plans, but simply creating them and editing them over time has helped both short and long-term.

Last is a lesson that has taken me years to understand. I have always struggled with this idea of selling. In order to build your brand, create yourself and work toward success, it is important to sell YOU. Selling is something I have to repeatedly work on. In my personal opinion, I believe you have to build your inner-confidence in order to sell yourself and your skills to others. You must have faith and believe in yourself and what you create/build before anyone else will even begin to understand.

I thought the Metcalfe interview was awesome. He's a brilliant individual and it's amazing how he is still selling and building his brand. He pointed out the importance of doing things, lots of things in order to build a past of memories and legacies. I thoroughly enjoyed the discussion. And, Cindy, you did a fabulous job too. I'm glad you were able to get Bob Metcalfe to the Texas State campus. Thank you. :)

No comments: