Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bob Metcalfe


Not accustomed to meeting people with such extraordinary genius, I didn't know what to expect when I met Bob Metcalfe. The things he has done for the world of technology and how he went about putting his ideas into action to create the Ethernet are unfathomable to me. I was pleasantly surprised at his dry sense of humor and welcoming presence.

Metcalfe has overcome many obstacles in his life, and through each obstacle has found a way to make what may seem like a horrible situation into something he could learn and grow from and expand on. I think it's interesting that both Metcalfe and the late Steve Jobs have found themselves in disheartening situations throughout their careers, situations that ultimately led them to go on to create something new and exciting. A fresh start. I think it takes a certain kind of personality to be able to pick yourself up and create something even better.

I find it interesting that Metcalfe is on his fifth career as a professor of innovation at the University of Texas. He has experienced so much in his life...he has met so many people, like Steve Jobs (and I'm sure he's the only one to ever turn Jobs down), and has helped to create technology that has forever changed our world of communication. I only hope that I have the opportunity to experience such an passionate life, and change people's lives as much as Metcalfe and Jobs have.

No comments: