Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Nerd Wars and the Story of it


Watching all the episodes of the documentary of The True Story of the Internet was very informative, and gave me a new outlook on how the Internet became and is still compounding innovation. John Heilemann did an outstanding job on keeping this documentary relevant, fun, and very interesting. This video was mesmerizing, as I could not stop watching the 20 ten minute segments on You Tube.

Hearing the story of Netscape and Microsoft brought me back in history. I could vision the nerd wars sounding like World War II. Bill Gates’ character as Hitler and Netscape trying to over throw his regime. I could not believe how innovation and power would go so crazy. These guys wanted all or nothing. Before knowing the destruction of Netscape, I wondered what happen to its icon on my Mac. I then realize that Apple had a better browser and I went on with my life.

The episode the “bubble” I felt was pretty amazing. I could not believe how powerful the Internet can effect our economy. The Stock market in America had to change because of the growth of business with Amazon and Ebay. As soon as a new internet company can blow up it can pop[fail] as fast. It is amazing how people will risk billions of dollars on stocks on companies that are started by creative 20 year olds that have great ideas, but are not fully tested.

The portion of “power to the people” provided many pros of freedom and how technology can give us unlimited data for free, but there are big consequences that can come from using intellectual property. Some of these have hit certain areas like the music and movie industries hard through Napster and YouTube. Does Freedom end with a price? I believe that Apple figured out how to make money off of this idea.

No comments: