Monday, August 31, 2009

I'm a PC...for now.

I’m really excited about this class and the coming semester. I am already planning on taking the next new media course in the spring semester. I really enjoy talking to you all and learning about your backgrounds. As for me, I was born in Los Angeles but never got to enjoy the beach, we moved to El Paso when I was four. My first language was Spanish and I did not learn to speak English until I was eight. My parents still don’t really speak English. My family is a very traditional Latino group, I’m not. The same can be said about El Paso and its people. Growing up, that reality always led me to believe the rest of the world ignored us. We lagged in education, technology, jobs, social attitudes and any other progressive aspects.

I believe the educational progress of the Latino community is directly tied to the group’s acceptance of technology. The Latino culture, in my experience, is always hesitant to accept new or foreign concepts that threaten their comfort zone. The community cannot afford to be two steps behind, as they usually are, in utilizing a new medium (i.e. Latino print magazines and newspapers are making a profit). The socioeconomic factors remain (digital divide) and I’ve seen them first hand. However, the strength in numbers of the community and capitalism could provide a smoother transition than past technological revelations for the group. There is a specific role in there for me I just have to define it.

I have no doubt that after this class I will be a better, and more rounded, communication professional. I also have a suspicion that this class will help me better define my career plans and ambitions. This class can be considered a new venture for me. I am excited at the thought of knowing something three months from now that I have absolutely no idea about today. I ask you all to consider that. How many times do we get that opportunity nowadays? I hope Dr. Royal doesn’t get scared that one of her students knows nothing about his graduate class. I am sure I’ll be an Apple at the end of the semester, if not earlier.

The video from last week was interesting on many levels. One pertains to what “we don’t know” about upcoming innovations. If they were talking internet in the sixties, what are they developing now? It is an exciting time to be around. Something else that was interesting was the near misses or the obstacles they encountered that actually assisted them.

No comments: