Friday, August 28, 2009

A Little About Me and First Day of Class

Hello all,



Well, I just moved to San Marcos from the Rio Grande Valley about two months ago. So far so good. My first class in the program was Media Law with Prof. Walsh. Tough course but I'm glad I took it because it exposed me to the idea of free speech and how the First Amendment is constantly being challenged. It will be interesting to see what new challenges privacy and free speech will face in the twenty-first century with things like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.



Technology that's used to transfer information fascinates me. Cell phoes, MP3s, and PDAs have become so ubiquitous in our culture. Everyday I see people glued to their newest gadget that they swear they can not live without when only ten years ago no one could have imagined them. I'm no exception; I long to own a 3G iPhone.



I'm taking the new-media track because my goal is to either work for or start a web based news focused topical magazine. I would like to explore topics through feature stories that include video, audio, and open forums. Also I want to learn about Flash and get better at Photoshop.



The thing I learned from the film we watched in class is how the Internet got it start military technology. It always fascinates me what leaps technology takes through the pressure to win wars. Also, I didn't know e-mail came about as a side job and wasn't really paid much attention to at first. It was also funny in a nostalgic way to hear the "You've got mail" prompt from AOL.



Okay, I think this post is getting a bit long so I'll leave it here and wish everyone a great weekend.

See ya in class.

No comments: