Friday, August 28, 2009

Hello there, I'm Carly

Hi class!

I got into new media kind of on a whim. Last year, I was looking for something new and stumbled upon Twitter. It took me a while to fully understand its potential...but once I did, I was hooked. I find the ability to connect with an entire community fascinating. Since then, I've been soaking up as much information as I can about new media and social networking.

This is my second semester in the graduate program in the SJMC, but I've called Old Main my home for several years. I graduated in December '08 with a degree in Mass Communication (PR). I'm so excited to learn from Cindy and to start my own site.

You can find me on Twitter here.

You can find my blog here.

Other than school and work (I'm assisting Dara Quackenbush with Mass Comm Week coordinations), I love reading and hanging out with my super awesome weenie dog, Harper, who loves Lone Star.

Something I found interesting about Wednesday's video was a comment made by the narrator of the film, the Internet is a vital information link during crisis and war. I feel like we've especially seen this recently, for example, during the Iran Election Crisis. The Internet (mainly Twitter) was protesters' only way to get vital information to the rest of the world.

No comments: