Sunday, August 30, 2009

"I am you and what I see is me"-from echoes by pink floyd

hi all,

most people call me "eric". but who am i? my answer: thoughts come and go, but it is the sum of my actions that dictate who i am, and perhaps someday, the results of those actions will be the only proof of my brief existence... that, and this blog.

to the point, the video we watched in class made me wonder: what if the inventor of electronic mail thought to himself: "Nah, this is a dumb idea... No one will ever use this." what if he had trashed the idea completely. i'm sure it would have surfaced in another form or fashion, but it may have been many years before it's inception as a popular form of communication. it makes me think of human potential in general. look at how far we've come with technology just because of people like the inventor of e-mail. there are no limitations but those we place on ourselves...

anyway, here is the SparkNotes version of my story:
grew up in South Texas. moved to Austin in 1997, put college on hold to pursue Kuk Sool Won (Korean martial arts), moved to the Houston-area in 2005 to study martial arts under the Grandmaster's son, Master Suh, "Alex" Sung Woo. while in Houston I earned my BA in English. I moved back to Austin in June 2007, when a series of random events thrust me into the pursuit of photography. i am self-taught and have been shooting for nearly two years (www.ericmphoto.net).

I love to learn. through this masters program i hope to develop skill sets and understandings of today's technology and, more important, technology of the future. i want to know where we are going, not just where we are.

my ultimate goals in academia are to earn at least 3 more degrees before i reach age 50. i love learning.... good luck to us all.









No comments: