Monday, August 31, 2009

New Media vs. Old Media

I'm looking forward to digging in to Cindy's class. Like I said during my intro in class, I tried to build a site and failed miserably. I want to combine my 25+ years of experience in TV and film production with some sound knowledge on web design to become more well rounded in combining old and new media.

The old media folks and the new media whizzes are battling it out, to a certain degree right now, at least in the area of journalism. I follow and contribute to both and don't necessarily favor one over the other (although, unlike my paper, I've yet to find a comfortable way to read my laptop while on the toilet).

I do believe that we, as media developers and consumers, are experiencing the period that is the changeover between old and new. The battles, the growing pains and the uncertainty will all eventually be settled and journalism and all of media will be vastly different than just 10 years ago.

I thought that the video was especially interesting (although, as a producer, I thought the quick cut edits at times were distracting). It's always fun to look back and learn about the development of any great innovation but to see the things that lead to what we now know as the internet was truly fascinating (of particular interest was the guy who developed e-mail, basically on a whim). Now it's up to us to learn, to develop, to participate and to innovate in the next chapter of the internet revolution.

No comments: