Monday, August 29, 2011

Well hello



My name is Ashley Rose Hebler. I'm on the New Media track in the Mass Comm. graduate program here at Texas State and judging by initial impressions of my classes this semester, it's a perfect fit for me. I love learning about the web and other forms of multimedia. Ultimately, I'd like to end up in some kind of career that encourages me be creative every day I come into work.


As for a brief history of me, I was born on Galveston Island here in the great state of Texas. The beach is where I feel most at home, but I must say this beautiful river we have flowing through campus is definitely growing on me. After high school, I attended Texas A&M University where I received my degree in Economics with an emphasis in Food Marketing and a minor in Business. Although I'll always be an Aggie, I am proud to be a part of Texas State and this will be my second year as a graduate student here.


Currently, I work for MedicareMall.com which is a start up website aimed at selling Medicare Supplement Insurance plans to seniors. It has been a great learning experience so far. I have done everything from video editing, to blogging, to graphic design for them. Here are the links to some videos and blogs in case you have a sudden urge to learn about Medicare. I can't say senior health insurance is the most glamorous industry, but I enjoy my job because I get to design and work with computers all day. Outside of school and work, I love being outdoors and staying active. Volleyball is my favorite sport, but recently I've been playing racquetball and disc golf.


Fortunately, the Internet has been around for most of my life so it always baffles me to try to think of times when the information super highway did not exist. Before "My documents" and "Finder" windows, people had to input lines of code just to access files of data and as the video points out before email, you had to decode these lines of random characters before they became useful. After watching the video in class I think it is interesting to not just think about the history of the Internet, but to think about how the Internet has shaped history since its invention.

No comments: