Sunday, August 28, 2011

Introduction


My name is Eileen. I am starting my second year of graduate school at Texas State University in mass communication with a concentration in strategic communication. I got my B.A. in communication with a minor in Spanish and public relations at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. Currently, I am a Graduate Research Assistant for Greek Affairs and love every moment of it. Once I receive my Master's I hope to move to D.C. and work in the public affairs department of a government agency.

I am really excited to be in the Online Media Design class. Web design is another subject that I know will be beneficial for me in my future career. In our first class we discussed the history of the Internet. One thing that surprised me was the disbelief that such a phenomenon could even occur. Many companies did not want to invest in some of the projects that were occurring at that time. Little did they know, however, that those small projects would quickly evolve and change social norms. Another interesting point was the way email was created, which all started by someone having an idea of sending one message to another computer. All in all, something as life changing as the Internet all started from small ideas, not from huge companies, but from graduate students. Here is a video about the brief history of the Internet.

If you would like to know more about me you can follow me on Twitter or connect with me on LinkedIn.

No comments: