Saturday, August 27, 2011

Fresh Start

Hello, my name is Shannon Delaney and I am a second year graduate student in the School of Journalism and Mass Communications. I plan to graduate in May 2012! I originally graduated from Texas State in 2006 with an English degree and teaching certification. I taught high school english for four years at Vista Ridge in Cedar Park. It wasn't for me, and I am now starting over on a new career path.

My dream job is to get into sports broadcasting and writing. I completed an internship this summer at YNN Austin, the local 24 hour news station. I was able to travel with the sports team to a ton of Round Rock Express games. I got to know the staff and players quite well! I'm so excited that the Express won their division! I also attended UT baseball games and practices. I learned to edit video and sound with Dalet, and used this everyday at my internship. I edited quite a bit of videos that aired during the sports broadcast and on the 24 hour sports channel.

In addition to being an avid sports fan, I love reading suspense and horror novels and watching scary movies. I have a twin brother who also graduated from Texas State and twin younger brothers, one of whom is a student here. Also, I love my cats, Callie and Calvin! In addition to taking 11 hours this semester, I am doing a teaching assistantship with Dr. Oskam in Round Rock.

I enjoyed the first part of the video on the history of the internet and web. I found it interesting that the lunar module had less computing power than a PC, and a 1990s PC at that! This was interesting because one would think that a spacecraft which could land on the moon would have more computing power than a personal computer. This illustrates how technology has advanced so much in the past 30-40 years! I found it interesting and surprising that graduate students were chosen to work on the project with BBM. This just shows how universities trust and look to their graduate students to work on key projects. I am looking forward to Online Media Design this semester and possibly in the spring with the SXSW project!

No comments: