Friday, August 26, 2011

How's It




Hey everybody, my name is Megan Lovelady. Since I have shared my last name, I would imagine that most of you will start remembering me only by last name. Not to fret though, it comes with the territory.

I am a recent graduate from the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) with my degree in Communication with a Technical Communication concentration. In comparison between the Comm. department at UTSA and here, I will admit to be shellshocked by the sheer difference in size. Amazingly enough, when I graduated in May of this year, I actually got to walk the stage on my birthday.

While I was at UTSA, I was an officer (Publicity Manager) for the student organization, The Green Society. As you can probably guess, we were an environmental group. No, we weren't tree-huggers nor hippies but our mission was just to get people aware of green alternatives and recycling and overall just making the world a more Earth-friendly place. I was an officer during my whole senior year at UTSA.

Another organization that I was a part of was the independent newspaper for UTSA students, The Paisano. The Paisano runs off of it's own revenue from donations and advertisements and ZERO funding from UTSA. All during my junior and senior year I had my own comic strip entitled "The Bird Seed." In addition, I also did artwork for articles with a few getting on the front page from time to time, and I also wrote a few news and features stories.

Lastly, as you can tell from my picture, I play the ukulele. I have been playing for three years now and self-taught. Once I figure out a good place to showcase my talents at open mic night I will let you guys know when I am playing.

A few things I thought were astonishing about the video we watched was how the internet can be used to connect people regardless of censorship. As the video pointed out, computers can be used to send information out into the world to show what is actually going on during a crisis. And, just as well, computers can be used to send information in and get the upper hand on a situation.
But the part that really struck me, was how simple and crude the idea of connecting people through computers is. I mean, they used "packets" and hot potato router" to describe what they wanted the computer to do. Further, that the first computers used cards with imprinted hole punches in order to send information and how quickly and how ever evolving sending information has expounded since those very simple, crude days.

No comments: