Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hello reader


_MG_7834.jpg


Let's start with a little about myself. Twenty years ago, it was custom for someone to ask "what's your sign". I used to be a sagitarius but unfortunately that has change recently and no longer describes who I am. I was born December 12, 1986 in Hoffman estates,Illinois. For anyone not familiar with the Lincoln lover state, H. Estates is a suburb outside of Chicago. My family didn't stay put very long after I was born, at 6 months old I was whisked away to the west. A good portion of my childhood is scratched and chipped into a street called Larchwood dr. In San Jose, California. From what I remember, Living in the bay area was nice and full of great times. Besides soccer practice, playing on my street and the neighborhoods on either side is about my range of experience in California. We moved to Texas when I was ten, by we I now mean: me, my parents, 2 brothers, and 3 sisters. The great thing about having lots of siblings is constant entertainment whether it be having fun, making fun of, or watching the result of either form of fun. Texas was a culture shock in various manners. First thing that caught me off guard was the use of "y'all". My first experience with the colloquial greeting was a mcdonalds at the airport, I literally turned around to check if she was speaking to a group behind me. Second big culture shock was education. When we left Cali, it was in the running as one of the lowest funded public school systems in the country. When I arrived in Texas, the school I was joining wanted to put me in 4th grade instead of 5th. I begged teachers and faculty not to follow through with this mainly because I didn't want to be the older kid in class. Fortunately they did not force me into a lower grade, instead I was required to complete a few leveling courses while participating in normal classes. In high school I found a number of things that interested me like wrestling and multimedia. I started my college career at Texas State in August 2005. I jumped around majors for a lil bit eventually landing on wildlife biology. Wildlife really gave me a great sense of research, conservation efforts, and theory of the current world and how we must sheppard the wild and civilized world to strike a balance between the two. I graduated in December 2010 with uncertain plans for the future. Before graduating, my photojournalism teacher David Nolan directed me to go speak with Dr. Rao about graduate school. Long story short, here I am starting my first semester as a grad. student in mass communication new media focus.

College:
Psychology, English, Physics then finally Wildlife biology, my education focus changed multiple times but understanding and applying research methods and tactics in the biology field, specifically vertebrates. In my time at Texas state, i was an active member of the phi kappa psi chapter, president of the wildlife society at Texas state, interned at bracken bat cave (largest population of bats in the world), and aided grad students in ecology studies and genetics.

In Online Media Design Wednesday night we watched a history channel special on the creation and development of the internet. This subject is not foreign to me, but i didn't realize the creation of the internet was a combination of American graduate students from around the country. My previous conception was a joint effort from different scientist and engineers around the world. The creator of ethernet technology will be a guest speaker in our OMD class here in the near future.

See "http://www.computerhistory.org/internet_history/" for more information on the internet rise to power


Boy am I happy to be here!

No comments: