Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hey There!


My name is Taylor Thompson. I am working to get my masters in strategic communication, hoping to graduate in May 2012. I earned my bachelors degree in public relations at Texas State in May 2009. After realizing Austin's (and surrounding areas) limited employment opportunities in my field, I decided to come back to school and learn even more skills that I can take with me in my future career. Online media design has always been an area of interest, not to mention a strong skill to have in marketing, advertising, and PR, so I am very excited to be in this class!

I have the one of the cutest pomeranians in the world, Laila, who I love more than anything. I'm also super excited about my brother coming to Texas State. He is a freshman, and trying to walk on to the football team; so far he's done really well.

At this time, I think it is important to point out that I'm losing my mind right now as my AC is broken. I'm currently sitting in a 90 degree house, in 104 degree weather, waiting for a repairman to come fix it. What a great time for an AC to break?!?!

The video about the history of the web was really interesting...I wish I was that smart. It's mind-boggling trying to understand how the Internet was created--all the technical aspects that were involved could make my head spin. I thought it was especially interesting that, much like the histories of Google and Facebook, the idea and the proposal for funding further research for the ARPANET and using interface message processors (IMPs) was rejected by AT&T and IBM. It's a shame...So many missed opportunities for these huge corporations that doubted the success of the Internet. I bet they were kicking themselves for turning that one down!

No comments: