Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hello everyone! :)

Hi there! My name is Paige Wilkerson and this is my third semester at Texas State. I grew up in a small town outside of Austin - Taylor, Texas. In this city, there are more open pastures and hay bales than Internet connections or shopping centers. ;) During high school, I knew I wanted to get away from the "small town" life and move to a bigger city.


In December of 2008, I graduated with my BA in News Editorial Journalism from the University of North Texas, near Dallas. I was a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and Student Government. I absolutely loved my time at North Texas! Although I grew up near Austin, a part of me really misses Dallas. I plan to move back in the future.


Three years later after a career move I am highly disappointed with, I decided to go through the graduate program in Mass Communication at Texas State. So far, so good! I plan to graduate this next August and I can't wait! Ultimately, I want to obtain my PhD and teach in a university setting. Until then, I have taken classes in both new media, advertising and public relations as these all interest me.


As Demond mentioned in his blog, I, too, watched the History of the Internet video this summer in Cindy's Issues in New Media course. Although the summer semester was short-lived, I absolutely loved our discussions in Cindy's class. I highly recommend it to everyone :)



My first thoughts on the video were those of surprise and amazement. These similar thoughts occurred during the second time I watched the video, too. Luckily, the Internet has been around during most of my life. I have had the opportunity to use the Internet, technology and social media through a majority of my personal, professional and educational experiences.



The packets of data concept is extremely interesting. It just amazes me how the 'network' operated in the beginning. The packets of data with a header operated through the network like the postal service. I believe it was 1966 when two single computers could NOT talk to each other. Shortly after through the effort of unbelievably talented individuals, a connection was built between two computers.





1966 wasn't that long ago and technology has greatly changed. In this video, electronic mail (email) was a new concept! This video and others, compiled with the stories from talented people such as Robert Metcalfe has instilled a great appreciation within me. I wish I were that smart, but I am overwhelmed and thankful for the successes thus far. I look forward to the future of technology...who isn't?!

No comments: