Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Google - Counting the Links

I used to work for a vacation rental Web site where I was nonsensically assigned to the SEO team - I didn't know anything about this stuff at the time. Anyway, we talked a lot about search and creating keyword-rich content and basically had a love/hate relationship with Google. We relied on Google's spiders to examine our sites but resented the fact that we had to cater to them so specifically. Yahoo, the closest search competitor, is nowhere close to Google in terms of traffic numbers, so my boss really spent most of his time trying to figure out what would make Google work for us the best.

Their motto may be "don't be evil," but we often viewed them as overly-powerful web bullies. This video just brought home how huge Google really is, and I enjoyed seeing a bit of the backstory. We'll see what the future holds for this search engine giant.

No comments: