Sunday, November 30, 2008

Web 2.0

I had to watch the web video with Tony Hsieh (zappos) because I love shoes! I can't believe a woman would spend $62,000 on shoes, where does she put them all? The fact that they focus on customer service is important because it brings in repeat customers. Everyone wants to buy from a company that is on their side. I think that the idea is brilliant because it's not some big fancy marketing idea, it is simply providing the best customer service possible. The surprise upgrades are an amazing idea, they will sometimes surprise you and upgrade your shipping and you could get your shoes the next day. I think that it is an excellent marketing technique because it lets your customer know that you really care about them. Their number one priority is company culture and it is good that they recognize that if their employees are happy then their company will be more productive. You can check them out at www.zappos.com.



I also watched the video with Michael Pollan. He made some really good points about food and what interested me most about his discussion was his link between the health care system and food. We are a society of fast food and I am just as guilty as the next. We spend more time eating out and we forget that for the most part fast food is harmful to our bodies. Large quantities of sugar and fats can be traced to all kinds of diseases. We ingest in enormous quantities the two calories that are the most unhealthy. If we make simple lifestyle changes we can decrease our trips to the hospital and thus, in my opinion, make health care more affordable. I'm not an expert but I do know that every plan does not cover everything. He cited that 60% of Americans are overweight and that is a huge portion of our society. In order to remedy our health care crisis we need to start by making informed eating decisions.



Video thumbnail. Click to play
Click To Play