Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Kevin Versus Kevin: High Bit Order

Kevin Kelly (K. Kelly) Wired
Kevin Rose (K. Rose) Digg

Well I would like to share my brilliant knowledge of the Web with you as I compare and contrast the Web 2.0 presentations of Kevin Kelly of Wired and Kevin Rose of Digg, but it is my ignorance that will once again shine. I can speak a little Spanish and maybe a little more Greek; I know these guys were using my native tongue, but I think in a new dialect known as "Webian." The first difficulty I encountered was that I didn't and I don't know what "High Bit Order" really is. If I knew better exactly what Web 2.0 is then I might have a better chance of figuring out what Web 3.0 or 10.0 might look like in the next iteration.

Back to Kevin versus Kevin. I will start with K. Kelly... In this presentation the discussion was about the history of the past 6,527 days since the inception of the Web and a prediction of what the next 6,500 days will bring -WOW-!!! I truly enjoyed Kevin's ability to take complex issues and make them simple.

So here goes - The first step of the Web as we know it was the simple connection of the computers on the Internet, step two was the sharing of documents and use of applications to make document sharing richer in content, step three is linking data and now we are at the beginning step four which is sharing data to the extent that computers can make intelligent and intuitive connections, deductions and decisions based on the minutia of that data. How can this knowledge help predict Web 3.0 and beyond? One of the initial pointers to the future is in the cloud, and what the cloud is and how the cloud works. With the abilities of sharing data, the cloud becomes one big OS or one huge machine that is made up of billions of smaller processors working in unison and as such, its computing power of this connected system allows for the smallest of details of one person's particular life to be shared, stored and used to enhance not only that life but the lives of all others connected to the Web.

The social, financial, political and personal implications are staggering. That is K. Kelly's take on High Bit Order, K. Rose tells us that timing is everything if we want to profit from this exponentially growing online world in the cloud.

K. Rose's presentation discussed the benefits of starting up during tough financial times, because competition is slim during those periods. Some of the challenges for such a start up would include funding, staffing, equipping and promoting your business on a shoe-string and K. Rose used his start-up of Digg as an example of how frugal budgeting and creative strategies can help you create similar results as he had with Digg.

So, K. Kelly tells us what to expect concerning High Bit Order and K. Rose suggests a strategy to profit from it.

As a side note, I looked at another High Bit Order presentation from Beerud Sheth to hopefully shed some light on the subject for me and he talked about SMS mobile Web and the Web beyond the Web and how http content is being blown out of the water by sms content. Yeah... I'm lost!




No comments: