Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Search and People Power

Excite was a web search I used all the time in collge. In fact, I had forgot all about it until the video had mentioned its name. Today, I use Yahoo and Google for most of my searches. As soon as the website mention that the Yahoo creators were from Stanford, I automatically thought Steve Jobs. It's crazy how so many bright minds went to the same school. The guys thought of the Yahoo name, because they wanted something short and catchy. It's exactly what it is. The video increased my knowledge of what Yahoo and Google go through and how they have grown into the companies they are today. The gambled with advertisersing and came out on top. I am most shocked that all of the creators went to Stanford and that they were so young.



Personally, I use Yahoo! for email, but I use Google more to search. I think I use Yahoo! because I have had it for so long. Google brings up more searches when I use it, so it has become my first search engine source of information.


I had never heard of Digg before the video. It was interesting how the CEO thought a blog and the New York Times could be at the same level. Mark Zuckerburg the founder of Facebook said, "What your friends actually have to say is interesting to you." I think this is true. It kind of relates to the American nature to want to know everything about everything. The guy who had been using 85% of Stanford's bandwidth was funny. It's unbelievable how people are able to come up with these ideas and bring them to life. We have moved from the walkman stage, to disc players, to mp3's, to iPods. It is unbelievable and exciting. I'm always interested in seeing what the new fad is. I understand Napster's point of their company, but I also see why the record companies were upset. I would be too. Napster was amazing, but like the video said, "it's still causing troubles today." Napster=Free Music


In 2001, Napster was shut down and they turned on its fans. The result of the close of Napster, led the way for Steve Jobs and iTunes. It was something the music industry was definitely satisifed with. Youtube was acquired by Google at the end of 2006, and it had helped the company stay afloat with the various issues they run into reguarding copyrighted material.

No comments: