Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Something Clever or Punny Here.

Hello other classmates. 
My name is Chris Troutman. 

This is my second semester. I am a graduate assistant. I have worked at Apple in the iPhone support division. I have worked at Hart Intercivic in the Elections Solutions division. I have worked for Austin Market Research in the market research division. I have worked for the Belton Journal and the Harker Heights Evening Star (a newspaper, not a strip club) as a reporter and advertising sales agent. I have also done freelance music writing for the past few years. 

Before this I delivered pizzas and got an undergraduate degree in Speech Comm. at the distinguishable, barely-accredited  University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (not actually connected to Baylor- although, they do entomb Judge Baylor's remains underneath their sad-sack campus). 

Some of these things I like. Some I do not. 

I hope and dream to do well in Graduate School and get a better-than-before job in media and eventually teach. 

I am not too clear on the definition of "new media". 

Before the readings I would have said something like, "...computers...?" 
Now I say something like, "...computers... because Manovich said...?"

I do agree with Manovich's use of several definitions in his article, "New Media from Borges to HTML". 
I think it is an extremely difficult concept to pin down with a definition. I think it is content produced by computers but also not. 
I particularly identified with (read: understood) Manovich's 5th and 6th definitions. I think that each medium goes through a "new media" phase and that each one is just a faster, more efficient, and wider reaching version of the previous. We still have the sender, message, and receiver; just a more stream lined vehicle. I think new media are ever changing and it is premature to label a specific form of media as new media. 

So in short, "new media" are just a phase were going through and will soon grow out of. 






No comments: