Monday, January 21, 2008

Blogging...huge step for me

Greetings!

I hope that everyone is had a restful weekend. I recently graduated from Texas State University in May 2007 with a degree in Exercise Sports Science and this is officially my second semester as a graduate student! I am currently a marketing intern at the American Heart Association and I absolutely love being apart of an organization that has a genuine concern for people. I am looking forward to a great semester and I’m grateful to be surrounded by such a wealth of knowledge.

I have never been a huge fan of computers or fancy technology and blogging…well this is going to be interesting. I like to physically hold the newspaper and I love trips to Blockbuster; however, I do realize that new media are the future and I would like to be apart of it. By the end of the semester I hope to have a better understanding of new media and a greater appreciation for everything digital.

Manovich related new media to cultural objects and suggested that a definition would continue to evolve over the years.According to Manovich, "new media are cultural objects which use digital computer technology for distribution and exhibition". I think that new media and culture go hand in hand, the cell phone has become a cultural device that I personally cannot live without. The Internet is also a great example of a cultural object that has been adopted as a way of life. We like things convenient, fast and user friendly, all of which are elements of the Internet. To sum it up, I would say that new media is an umbrella term for all things digital that our culture has adopted as a way of life.

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.”
-George Bernard Shaw-

No comments: